Chapel of the Three Ecumenical Saints

By the middle of the the 19th century the village consisted of thirteen courtyards, where one hundred and eight people lived. There were two chapels built long before 1846. One of them was dedicated to the holy martyrs Kirik and Julit and has not survived to this day. The second, named after the Three Ecumenical Saints - Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian, John Chrysostom - stands in a field, not far fr om the disappearing village of Nemyata.
The heart of the current building is the original chapel, possibly traditionally consisting of a log with a western oriented porch under a common roof. The existing appearance of the building took shape at the turn of the 19th – 20th centuries. During this period the chapel was rebuilt in order to expand. First, in the prayer room they arranged a high frame ceiling - heavens, a little later they dismantled the wall adjacent to the porch. A new wide porch was built on the western side, wh ere a hexagonal belfry was placed.
By the end of the eighties of the 20th century the monument noticeably felt into disrepairand began to collapse.
In 1985-1986 conservation work on the monument was carried out by the forces of the student construction team of the Arkhangelsk State Pedagogical Institute.
The heavens of the Three Ecumenical Saints Chapel, written on sixteen radial facets, is one of the most complex in program and iconography throughout the Russian North. In the center there is the image of the Almighty.

Related Categories